Sunday, January 06, 2013

Spiritual Sunday: Epiphany of the Lord's Day

Spiritual Sunday teaches all about life and our Big Boss.


"We have seen his star in the East, and have come to adore the Lord."  Matthew 2:2

Epiphany is a Christian festival, observed on January 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to the gentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth-day. (Dictionary.com)  On this special day, Christians greet one another with the phrase "Happy Three Kings!"   

So who were the three kings?  Where did they come from?  They were Melchor, Gaspar, and Balthazar - the three wise men from the East (Persia now Iran, India, and Arabia respectively).  They had journeyed for twelve days bringing gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh to lay down at the feet of the baby Jesus Christ.
Photo from Web
As kings of their own kingdoms, they left and searched for the Holy Infant to worship and adore Him.  As it is written in the Old Testament, "All kings shall bow down before Him; all nations shall serve Him." Psalm 72:11.  Meaning, Jesus is the King of all kings and Lord of all lords!  He is worthy of all our praises!  He is high and lifted up, the glory of the nations!   

Now that Christmas season is officially over and the tides had calmed down, may we once again reflect on the real essence of it.  Because on my part, I had failed to do so.  I had turned out to be a scrooge for Christmas.  I wasn't "inspired" for Christmas.  So I just occupied myself with every little thing I see to be busy about.  But after all the effort I did, I still felt empty and disappointed with what is still lacking in the puzzle.  That's why I feel bad about my sour mood last Christmas despite the booming business I had.  Now I realize that money can't really buy happiness.  

So let us all be reminded that Christmas in the eyes of a child is not all about toys, Christmas in the eyes of an adult is not all about stress, and Christmas in the eyes of a businessman is not all about opportunity to make money.  But Christmas is all about Jesus!  That God the Father sent His only begotten Son to save us from all our sins.  

Thankfully, there is still Epiphany for me to make up for my mistake.  Since Jesus received precious gifts on the twelfth day from His birth, I also distributed some to some close friends and inaanaks.  So I won't be a scrooge at all!  And next Christmas season, I do hope to always bear in mind and heart the real essence of it.  (No matter how bad will I probably feel on some circumstances.)  And that is giving thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ who had died for me on the cross!

No comments :