Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Whimsical Wednesday: When I Spent Chinese New Years with You

Whimsical Wednesday shows my fancy in a myriad of beautiful things.  

When I spent Chinese New Years with you, you taught me how to make dumplings......  
Laoshi Zhu Jing and Her Dumpling Tutorial
Dumplings are cooked balls of dough with meat, vegetables, and sweets filling.  These are traditionally eaten on new year's eve which symbolizes wealth because these are shaped like ancient silver and gold ingots.  These can be cooked in a variety of ways, may it be fried, steamed, or in stews and soups.  These are like empadas in Filipino cuisine if fried.

When I spent Chinese New Years with you, you taught me how to perform wushu sword.....

Laoshi Jack and His Wushu Tutorial
Wushu is an ancient Chinese martial art.  Nowadays, it is considered as an international sport and competitions are being held globally to promote agility and finesse to anyone who are into this sport.

When I spent Chinese New Years with you, you taught me how to carry the lion head.....

Little Yanyan and the Lion Head
The lion dance is being performed every new year to chase away evil spirits and call happiness and longevity instead.  It brings prosperity to any business establishment, the reason why the lion dance crew of MUHS roam around the city before the new year comes to invite and welcome good fortune!

When I spent Chinese New Years with you, you taught me how to wear the cheongsam.....

Chinese New Year Cultural Show 2010
Cheongsam is a traditional Chinese costume being worn during special occasions.  In this event, I had worn a golden cheongsam which symbolizes well of course, gold for prosperity and abundance!

And these were my memoirs when I spent Chinese new years with you.  Though I am not Chinese, you had shared to me your rich culture and beautiful tradition.  Until today, I still remember the Chinese name you gave me, still talk the language you taught me, still sing the songs you sang to me, still eat the food that you let me tasted, and still observe the practices you imparted to me.  

Still it is, "Wu xiang ni and wu ai ni, MUHS Guang Hua!"